Friday, June 13, 2008

R. I. P. Tim Russert


As I sat here trying to get this blog off the ground, I heard the news about the death of Tim Russert. I spent a few years being a real news geek. I had a job that involved a lot of driving and I preferred to turn the radio to the all-news or the all-talk stations, just to hear the voice of another human being. Since my son was born I have been a stay at home mom and my background noise is more likely to be Tom and Jerry sound effects or "Choo-Choo Soul" songs.

Anyway, I always loved watching him work. He asked tough questions, but wasn't a jerk about it. I never felt like he was pressing people just so he could get a reputation as a "personality" but instead because it was his job to hold politicians accountable, unlike certain interviewers. *coughchrismatthewscough* And in all candid or informal interviews, like on the late-night talk shows, showed a pretty good sense of humor.

The stories his colleagues are telling are very touching. He was devoted to his dad and son. Someone just said he used to make sure people came by to see his father, at least seven or eight visitors a day, by calling people and putting them on a schedule. Even when he was in Washington and his dad was in Buffalo. That's awesome. And you know he's pretty cool when it turns out his college-aged son put a tattoo on his side with his father's and grandfather's initials, just so those two men would always be by his side. Well done, Luke Russert.

Dammit, this was supposed to be a funny blog page...

No comments:

Post a Comment