Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Kinda Sorta Live Blogging My Jury Duty Pt. 3

I need to be at the courthouse at 8:00, and I’ve gotten off the subway at 7:20. I can see the courthouse from the station so I have oodles of free time. I wander over to the Dunkin’ Donuts and go in. I really don’t like Dunkies for food but I thought maybe I should force myself, since when I did get ridiculously hungry I would want something. I can’t decide on what I want, and decide to leave, but I did enjoy the tiny little old lady, probably a great-grandmother, with the Razr phone texting like a fiend standing in line next to me. I decide to just see if I can get into the courthouse since I’m tired of walking. Hey, they’re open early! So I go through security, and check in at the desk. I’m the fourth one there. I stake out the room with the tables and spot the perfect chair by the window near an outlet, but first I want to go to the bathroom. Since I don’t know how safe it is at this point to leave my stuff unattended I bring it all with me. It’s occupied. It’s taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I’m dancing around, I gotta go so badly! Plus I don’t want that prime piece of real estate I scoped out to go to anyone else. I’m starting to get antsy. Finally I hear the toilet flush and the sink running. I hear a towel being ripped off… I’m waiting… waiting… still waiting… and the toilet flushes again. So I wait some more. And some more. The toilet flushes again. The sink runs again. The towel rips again. I can’t freakin’ take this any longer!! I start jiggling the handle furiously to let her know she’s not the only person in the world. Ok, I actually do the little “try to open the door as if I just now arrived and had no idea someone was in there, my mistake” move, but I was thinking furiously as I did it. If you’re wondering, I did make it without an accident. Just barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment